9/21/07

Venturing Out: Bring in the Missing Links

I took the liberty to scope out for some artist advice within the blogsphere, and found myself lingering among the martial arts. As a student performer, it has been required and strongly suggested by all my professors to get involved with martial arts. I never knew why until I began taking classes. Ever since then, I have been able to become completely aware of my body and have overcome practically every obstacle I put my mind to, and I must say that I have the martial arts to thank. I found some martial art based articles that clarify how to apply this art both to the sport itself as well as in a performance aspect. The first site I found is called AikiThoughts and is primarily based on the discoveries the author has made in the life of a martial artist. The article titled The Equation discusses how being aware of one’s body can help accomplish or defeat the obstacle or opponent. The other article I read is from the Aikido Journal (as shown to the left), and discusses being in tune with the body by way of getting into the “zone”. But what really sparked my interest was how the given tips from both articles can be applied both in daily life, and in the life of a performer. After reading these articles, I commented on each one to further explain how martial arts can help on a day-today basis, as well as in the performance world.



“The equation”
Comment:
While reading your article, I could not help but notice how your equation can have a strong influence on how we view our lives everyday. I believe that practice in the martial arts is a tremendous way to build confidence, which can lead accomplishing whatever goal we put our minds to. Aikido, or any martial art for that matter, requires the performer, or “X”, as you stated, to enter into a realm of complete body awareness. With this, one is able to reach “victory”, but only with the addition (or the +) of a challenge/challenger. With this, would you be implying that it is necessary for us to be challenged in order for us to benefit a victory? You mention that victory is “the best outcome possible for a given situation”, and I am curious to know if you are suggesting that one can be victorious even if one’s goal is not obtained.

To further implore upon your article, how does one reach that state of becoming in tune with the body, and how long does it take on average to reach this state? I am involved with theatre and am constantly advised to get in touch with what is going in both mind and body. Does this often naturally occur with the constant practice of the martial art?

“Martial Arts and the Zone”
Comment:
In response to your article, it appears to me that getting in the zone is achieved by thinking on simpler terms, and not getting into our head so much. Digger deeper, I believe that following instinct can behold wonderful effects as well. I am a theatre major at USC and have been advised by all my professors to follow instinct and not to think so much. Can this also be defined as getting into the zone?

All my life I have been told to work hard, or as you stated “try harder”. I do believe that trying harder or working harder can cause interference and can actually limit us if not using the correct tactics. But at other times, I have succeeded by really putting my mind to accomplishing what I want. I have done some martial arts and simply trying harder has worked for me. I tried harder by going to more practices and studying the art at home. Yes, it did add a little bit of extra stress here and there, but in the end I succeeded. In interest of getting into the zone, I do believe that it does ease the mind and allows us to become more aware of ourselves, which is important as a performing artist, but I also believe that working hard also segue into success, both in martial and in everyday life.


1 comment:

LHO said...

Linking martial arts with theater is a fascinating subject and I think this fits nicely into your blog. That martial arts could even help in theater was unknown to me until now. You definitely peeked my interest. But I could not help wondering how martial arts is important to theater or how it has helped you. You wrote that you "have been able to become completely aware of my body and have overcome every obstacle I put my mind to." Following this sentence I think it would be a good idea to mention what obstacles you overcame which can be directly linked to martial arts. Perhaps an anecdote or example. You mentioned in class that Akido requires working with each other and that is something you do as an actor. Perhaps elaborate more on something like that.
Lastly I thought the picture of the man meditating was very good because it drove home the point of the your blog which is achieving harmony. However I think a picture of people actually fighting or practicing martial arts would be better than the picture of the Web site. You already link to the site so readers will see it there. You probably do not need to show it in the blog.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License.